Friday, September 12, 2008

All I Really Need to Know About Life I Can Learn From my Dog

I've been trying to simplify my life for years now and it recently struck me that the best path to a simple and satisfying life is to follow my dog.

Now obviously I can't live life quite as simply as Madison does. I don't have the mentality or the living circumstances of a toddler, like Madison and all well-cared for dogs do. But still, there are lessons to be learned from Madison's approach to life.

1. A stranger is only a friend I've yet to meet - A friendly dog, and Labrador Retrievers like Madison are definitely friendly, loves everyone and expects that everyone loves her. Madison never greets a new person with a shy smile and cautious handshake. No, Madison explodes with joy at the introduction - her ears perk up, her eyes light up, her tongue hangs out in anticipation of bestowing a sloppy kiss, and her entire body shakes and wiggles with excitement. Sometimes she just can't contain herself and jumps on her new friend (this isn't appreciated by everyone so I wouldn't recommend it in human relationships). Since I've always been a shy person it's hard for me to perform the human equivalent of Madison's meet and greet but I think it's time to try harder. It's hard to resist anyone, human or canine, who makes you feel like you are the one she's been waiting to meet all of her life.

2. Get some outdoor time and exercise everyday - Since dogs cannot be toilet or litter-box trained (at least not big dogs like Madison), owning one necessitates daily time outside. This can be uncomfortable at times (think 24-hour torrential downpours or temperatures below zero) but it can also be invigorating. Throw in the need for regular exercise, especially for high-energy dogs like labs, and you have the ingredients for a life full of fresh air and activity. Since acquiring our first dog almost 25 years ago there have been few days we have spend completely inside and inactive. Like our postal carrier, "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night" keep us from our appointed rounds. I have the worn-out walking shoes and rain gear to prove it. And all this activity is the perfect segue into a life-lesson of which Madison always provides a good example -

3. Never turn down a nap - Many years ago my husband read some health advice that suggested one should "exercise to your limits and then rest." How many of us, however, get to the "rest" part? Like many things in Madison's world, naps are not regularly available to the average busy human. But maybe it's time to make them as much of a priority as getting to the bank or cleaning the tub. To be honest, I have never been much of a napper, even when I was pregnant. But recently I've discovered this simple pleasure. I happened to pick up a chaise lounge for five bucks at a tag sale. After re-covering the cushion I put it in the backyard and decided to try it out. It was a warm summer day and I placed the chaise in the shade of our big maple tree. There, with a warm breeze rippling the grass and little dots of sunshine sprinkled around me, I read about two pages of my book then fell into a delicious, almost narcotic sleep. It felt so good, I confess, I have returned several times to my chaise, sometimes without even bringing a book. I bring my cell phone and set the alarm (wouldn't want to miss a kid pick-up, after all) and then drift off to a land where rest, relaxation and refreshment are the only articles in its constitution. I think it's called "The Republic of Dog."

4. Love with every fiber of your being It's been a long time since I've parked myself outside the bathroom door and whined until my husband came out. Okay, I've actually never done that. But Madison did this morning. She does the same thing to me on Saturday mornings when I stay in bed a little longer than usual. Larry lets her out of her mudroom but instead of heading to the sunroom for a little post-bedtime nap, she races down the hallway and parks herself outside our bedroom door whining and crying until I come out. When I do emerge she greets me as if we haven't seen each other for years, rather than a mere seven or eight hours. And no matter what my mood, her greeting is the same - cheerful and loving. What if we always treated those we love this way? If we didn't allow bad moods or lack of sleep or worldly worries cloud the vision of our hearts but let the love shine through unashamedly? I know I would enjoy being loved that completely, wouldn't you?

5. Never be afraid to say "I need some lovin' - A corollary to number four, when you give love completely aren't afraid to ask for it in return. Madison is never shy about coming up to us, wiggling her torso and wagging her tail and then, the minute we pat her head, falling to the floor, rolling over and showing us her tummy so we can give her a good scratch. If we're willing to give kisses and hugs and backrubs we shouldn't feel shy about asking for them when we need them too.

I'm not about to follow Madison into every one of her habits and ways. For instance, I have no desire to roll in animal feces or gnaw on a decomposing deer leg. But I wouldn't mind acquiring some of her personality traits. As the saying goes, Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am. And help me to be the person my dog already is.

2 comments:

Hope said...

I have to admit I don't like dogs and could never live with one.

This is really nice, however. Every once in a while I get to know a particular dog well enough to gain some affection for it. I bet I would like Madison.

Audrey said...

Hey Hope! It's nice to know my number one fan stuck with me through my dry spell! I just couldn't make myself stay inside and write this summer - around here summer days are just too precious to waste at the computer. Unless, of course, you're my kids, who don't seem to mind giving up sunshine and fresh air for a chance to talk with their friends online or surf the net, lol. Anyway, I hope to be a bit more productive in the coming months. Thanks for reading.